Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Letter from Chris

A group of NUMguys is leaving us for NS this time round. Quite a number of them, I have spent a great amount of time personally with. We had cool time spent in the outlets, suppers, movies and even parties. So as each of them leaves, a number leaves me a note or two ... it is not just about how well NUM is doing only, it is about how well each and everyone of us is living our lives together that counts greater i think.

This one from Chris ...

Hello Shenzi,

With regards to my last day at NUM on Sunday, I must say that I'm leaving the company with many good memories and experiences. As I leave for National Service like a handful of the other NUMboys, I'd very much like to share a few of the many wonderful moments I've had here in NUM in this email.

I can fondly recall the very first day that I've stepped into the NUM office with an application form in hand, eagerly awaiting my turn for the interview. Looking back, I've never regretted enrolling and being part of this fast-growing company. Though my stay here was barely more than 4 months, however, I've made countless friends from the various NUM outlets as well as developed a sense of belonging to this company and "brotherhood". Being able to meet up and work with boys coming from all woks of tertiary education life, has certainly bestowed me with countless enjoyable working hours in NUM, as all of us enjoyed our fair shares of joy, laughter and sorrows.

Being attached to a small outlet like Cathay, I'm grateful to have enjoyed unity and warmth with all my fellow Cathayans. Eventhough Cathay might seem like a small outlet with few customers, but we've had our fair share of heavy crowds, and that's when we fought hand in hand with each other to deal with these hectic situations. I chose to enrol into NUM for many reasons such as image, branding, products etc. However, the one that stands out most importantly, would be having the opportunity to do what I enjoy best; "Sales and Customer satisfaction". I have always enjoyed serving and interacting with customers, and there is certainly no place better than NUM, which values customer service above everything else. It pleases me personally, as I watch every satisfied customer walking out of the NUM shop with a bag of our product in hand. To me, this is where i seek satisfaction in my working life.

Besides getting job satisfaction, being a part of NUM has also benefited me in many other aspects. Two months back, I was allowed an interview with the NUS business school to pursue a business degree with them. One of the interview question was "Can you name an individual who has succeeded in his business in today's society?" I guess many would reply the names of famous people like warren buffet, bill gates etc, but the first name that came to my mind was "Shenzi, my boss at NewUrbanMale." Then, i was asked to give a reason why I chose this person. I replied, "He established good relations with his employees at ground level, and he never fails to provide the right motivation to his employees, to propel them towards attaining new heights and with the best interests of the company in mind."

After having spent these 4 months meaningfully in NUM, I see myself growing as an individual ready to take on the challenges in life. I've earned a place in NUS, but first, I have to pull through these two years in National Service. As I leave NUM with a heavy heart, I'm proud to look back and say, "I was a NUM ambassador."

"Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts."

Thanks for everything Shenzi! I'd hope to be part of this big NUM family again! :)

Warmest Regards,
Christopher Ng
(Once a Cathayan, always a Cathayan...)

No comments: